1899: First Baptist Church builds the Edward Seeler-designed, Byzantine-inspired building at 17th and Sansom Sts.
Oct. 1900: The building is dedicated and opened, becoming a center of ministry, worship and service.
1949: A fire in the sanctuary destroys the entire chancel area, the organ, pulpit furniture, and the stained glass windows in the dome.
1950: Renovations to restore the church building are made, and it's reopened.
Dec. 2013: First Baptist Church informs Liberti Church’s leaders that they needed to sell their facility, and had an offer from a developer. Liberti’s leadership and First Baptist’s leadership begin to talk and pray about Liberti purchasing and renovating the facility.
Spring 2014: Liberti congregants give $3 million to purchase the building and begin research on needed renovations.
March 23, 2014: First Baptist Church members vote to sell their facility to Liberti Church, rather than a developer, giving both congregations a permanent home, to continue the legacy of this place as a center of worship and service to the city!
June 2014: Liberti Church’s elders and members vote to purchase and renovate the First Baptist building.
September 2014: Liberti Church officially closes on the purchase of the First Baptist building, securing the facility debt-free.
September 2014: Liberti launches the For the City initiative to renovate the First Baptist building and ready it for another century of worship, community, and service to the city!
November 2014: Liberti congregants commit to an additional $3.25 million in funds for renovation.
2015 PROJECTED RENOVATION TIMELINE
March - April, 2015: Hazardous material remediation.
April - September, 2015: Utility and heating upgrades.
April - October, 2015: Renovations and construction on all levels of the building.
October/November 2015: Phase 1 project completion.
*Phase 2 will be determined upon fundraising success.